North Wiltshire RAYNET is comprised entirely of unpaid volunteer members from around the Wiltshire county and Swindon Borough area. We are always interested to hear from members of the public who are thinking of volunteering with RAYNET.
There are numerous benefits to volunteering with us including:
- Improving your radio communications knowledge and skills
- Helping charities with their fund-raising events
- Working towards becoming a licenced radio amateur
- Opportunities to assist other RAYNET groups around the UK
- Getting more use out of your amateur radio equipment
- Working with the emergency services, local government and other volunteer services
- Learning from others to develop your skills and abilities
- Participating in the emergency planning for the county
- Participating in community events
- Helping to ensure public safety
- Meeting new people and making friends
- Working as part of a team
- Improving communication and social skills
You do not need to be a licensed radio amateur to join the group or take part in our activities, but clearly this would be highly beneficial. In addition to radio operating, there are other roles to perform such as administration, observing, planning and record keeping.
If you are new to amateur radio you may be interested in joining Swindon & District Amateur Radio Club where you can develop your knowledge of radio communications. With both groups being based in Swindon, North Wiltshire RAYNET and SDARC are closely involved with one another.
The general requirements for joining North Wiltshire RAYNET as a volunteer are as follows:
- Applicants must be at least 14 years of age and have a parent’s or guardian’s consent if under 18 years of age.
- You must be willing to volunteer your time in support of our events and activities, typically between 2-14 days a year (usually weekends).
- You understand that you may be called upon (potentially at short notice) to provide communications support in the event of a local, regional or national incident or disaster.
- Ideally, applicants will be eligible to pass HM Government Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) checks, but this is not mandatory.
If you are interested in joining North Wiltshire RAYNET, please contact the Group Registrations Officer for more information.